"Gather 'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Around the 15th of
each month, when I deem you are worthy, we put out our cheesy K12
newsletter to inform the masses as to what's happening in the BMW
K12RS/GT/S world and of course... Pirates'
Lair. How else are you going to find out? If you want to
subscribe and have these sent via e-mail to your home or office just let
us know at email@example.com ..
otherwise you'll get 95% of it here. Why only 95%? Because I tend to tell
the brutal truth as I see it on many issues/products and while I don't
mind spewing "my opinion" into your home, office or cell .. I have no
desire to slam, insult, or malign any company, individual, competitor in
public.. unless they blatantly deserve it.
The Latest Cheesy Pirates' Lair Newsletter: April 2005 Issue
|Fellow esteemed and quasi-esteemed K12 Riders.... ..A famous (and slightly edited ) movie moment to start the day.....|
(Lafayette Hotel).. it's dark.. pouring rain....lightning flashes...
"At last. Welcome, Neo. As you no doubt have guessed, I am
Neo: "The Pirates' Lair Cheesy Newsletter?
Thomas "Neo" Anderson / Keanu Reeves / Morpheus / Laurence Fishburne .. The Matrix (1999)
News From The Two-Wheeled No-Spin Zone...!!
SportbikeTracktime.com : Worthy of Praise
I can NOT say enough about the professionalism of this group. Monte Lutz and Bonnie Strawser, owners of SportbikeTrackTime are simply on top of every aspect of the track day experience delivering a stress-free event full of fun, speed, excitement, and most importantly...learning. All under an ever present philosophy of safety. Mark Sheldon gave the best orientation/briefing of any I have seen... Thorough.. precise.. informative.. and even humorous. The instructors (who work for no pay!) were always there for help and to give advice. None, that I could see tried to play the "I'm a moto-god" card.. Instead.. they were thoughtful and helped all that needed help yet let those of us who are fairly competent, run to our hearts content...
My instructors, Larry Haber and Robert Mckay were both grreat guys and damn good riders giving each of us the perfect balance of stern instructional advice with praise when deserved. What a great team Monte has assembled. My personal thanks goes out to the entire staff of SportbikeTracktime for providing this world-class learning forum.. To be honest, this was the most fun I have had on a motorcycle in 35+ years of riding. If any of youz guyz/galz have been thinking about trying a track day event.. I'd give these guys a call...Phone: (888) 390-4020 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org Tell them I sent you... and BTW.. No.. I get no kickbacks from these guys.. not that I'm above that...
com Patches Are Complete!! From Sir David Littlefield... Man About
"The patches turned out awesome. For a minimum of $7.00 each you can get all you want. I'll keep $4.00 until my cost is recovered and send the balance to the site. Of course, anything in excess of $7.00 will go to the site so ante up. The easiest would be Paypal, email@example.com. If not a check is okay:"
BMW PhotoShoot at
Deals Gap?? or Don't Ask.. Don't Tell?
|Sucking Gas Sucks! How To Beat OPEC
I don't want to get off on a rant here but...No matter what we Americans do to make the world a better place.. Europe and especially the middle eastern countries hate us or worse.. want to kill us. They love taking our money and living under our blanket of protection but choose to treat us like dog s#@*.. Tired of pumping your hard earned dollars to the Arabs and/or indirectly supporting terrorism? Want to buy non-OPEC gasoline and strike a blow to their wallets? Here's a list of the oil companies that supply non-OPEC product... All of this information is available from the Department of Energy.
Citgo.....................0 barrels from OPEC
Sunoco.................0 barrels from OPEC
Conoco.................0 barrels from OPEC
Sinclair.................0 barrels from OPEC
BP/Phillips...........0 barrels from OPEC
Hess.....................0 barrels from OPEC
ARC0....................0 barrels from OPEC
What's New In the K1200RS/GT/S/R World
our last newsletter I mentioned that Hyperpro Racing Suspension in the
Netherlands has a bolt-on replacement for the factory
steering damper. I was going to offer a rare group buy. I actually
found and spoke with the US importer, requested the vendor approval
paperwork but after looking over the stack of forms..apparently.. we're
not worthy. You have to meet all kinds of criteria .. store front..(which
we don't have)... can NOT live at the same location as the store...(which
we do).. must have a showroom for customers to walk around in..(which we
don't)... must blow somebody at HyperPro..(not likely)... must have
badjez!... and "we don't need no stinkin
badjez.." Guess it's not gonna happen.. sorry.
2. I recently learned that there is a mount that has been modified by Recchia Moto in France that can be ordered so that you can mount the 33 liter Top Bag (from the R1150RT) to a K12GT. Thanks for the tip JM.
3. Thinking about repainting your aging RS? Need the factory decals?
Rather than letting your nearest extortionist...er... dealer plunder your
wallet... here's a place that sells decals for our bikes...The
RealOEM.com BMW Parts Catalog Looks like
the site is new.. Not sure if it's up and running as I write this... Worth
a look as these are the best prices I've seen. and I'll add my own tip..
If you purchase LARGE decals for these bikes.. Pay a professional to put
them on.. They know what they are doing.. you probably don't. ANY sign
shop that applies vinyl graphics to windows or vans can do it and do it
right..They'll charge less than $40.. If you try to save the $40 and end
up screwing up.. you'll be cussing yourself.. Learn from others mistakes..
You only get ONE shot at installing them.. The question is.. "Do you feel lucky?... well.. Do ya
5. Pit Bull is working on a REAR Wheel Lift for the new K1200S and R. It'll look just like the MV/Ducati lift we sell at http://pirateslair.net/MVpitbull.htm It should be on the market any day now.. For those of you who opt NOT to buy the optional centerstand.... I would think this would be a necessity for tire changing, cleaning, etc..
6. Have you recently purchased the Brake LED Kit (by Gizmo Mills) or the Clear Tail LED Kit (from Clear Alternatives) and had problems with your cruise not working after install? You wouldn't be alone, but you'd be in a small group. Out of hundreds of these kits sold .. perhaps a dozen late K12 bike owners have had the EXACT same problem... non-working cruise. We've spoken in depth with BOTH companies in the last 2 weeks brainstorming the issue. As I write this, BOTH companies think they have a solution. Clear Alternatives thinks it's simply a matter of installing (2) 50 watt resistors in-line instead of the (20) watt resistors included in all past kits. Both companies say they'll not bail on anyone and will make things right as rain in the weeks to come. Again.. this problem is an anomaly.. nothing to panic about... move along now.. nothing to see here... Will keep everyone in the loop as info rolls in.. As of today, 4/7/05.. Pirates Lair will NOT be shipping any of either kits to late K12 owners until we get the revised versions in stock.
7. Got a new ECU in your new RS or GT? Wondering if you can use the RhineWest Chip? I just spoke with good buddy, Hank at RhineWest... Heres the deal.. initially RhineWest was against trying their chip with the new ECU's simply because they didn't know what info or changes BMW had made to them.. Now they know.. Basically.. BMW simply tweaked the cold temp start settings of the old ECU program so now the bike reads a different temp on first startup.. Due to this minor change, cold start stumbling should be eliminated.. What this means for you prospective chip buyers is... as the NEW ECU program is essentially the same as the OLD ECU except for temp settings at start up.. the RW Chip will work just fine with them...and now you know.. the rrrrrrest of the story...
8. As seen at
http://www.i-bmw.com/ New for all the
K1200RS's and GT's...Chrome Gauge Rings
. another product from Hornig
of Germany.. They offer polished rings for the speedometer, the
tach, the temp and the fuel gauge. You simply stick them to the
speedometer e.g. with silicon and you can remove them without any residue.
yourself a Travelin' Man? "Tryin' ta make a livin' and doin the
best you can??"... A chronic speeder/lawbreaker? Rarely carry enough bribe
money? Join the club.. Check out
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html It's a site with a summary of and
links to state laws related to speeding, and in particular excess speeding
and reckless driving. Be aware of the penalties... Knowledge is power...
Power is bliss. Bliss is a night in an oil filled hot tub with Jessica
What's New at Pirates' Lair?
You knew it was just a matter of time.... With the advent of the new
K1200S and K1200R, Pirates Lair has expanded our menu to
include a full line of accessories for these new K bikes.. As per the
prophesies.. our K1200S/R
product page is up. It's a bit sparse at the moment, but sooner or
later.. we'll rule..
purchased the new K1200S or K1200R and it's simply too slow for you? Need
more power? Have a small penis? We got your back!! Our new LASER Slip-On Exhaust pages are up!. These are
due in the US in about 2 weeks. For the K1200R.. Click HERE and one for the
K1200S bike.. Click
3. Speaking of the "S" bike.. We have TWO K1200S Tee's on the menu. One feature's the Yellow/Black/Silver bike which is IN STOCK.. the other the Blue/White should be in today. You can see them BOTH at http://pirateslair.net/teeS.htm Be the envy of your work place or prison yard..Guaranteed to get you non-married people laid more often.
4. As per the prophesy.. our R1200GS Stealth Backrest will hit the market THIS WEEK!... Comments? Opinions? Jesus juice?
5. Speaking of the S Bike.. We're selling a lot of the Baxley Chocks to the S guys without centerstands.. and for good reason. Just ride your bike into the garage right up into a Baxley Chock....get off and walk away...IMHO...Man's single greatest invention after air-conditioning and the microwave.
6. I had mentioned last month that our next backrest project would be the 2005 R1200RT., but due to parts availability issues, we think we are gonna squeeze in a backrest for the 1000cc and 650cc Suzuki V-Stroms. http://pirateslair.net/SuzukiV.htm Why the Suzuki? We get a lot of requests for them...
7. We will soon have plastic kickstand pads emblazoned with our Pirates' Lair logo. Small enough to carry in your back pocket, tank bag, or bra.. No more looking for a freakin' rock or crushed can when we pull over on damp days...Can also be used as a back protector.. if you are 14" tall..
8. We finally have our MV Agusta Reservoir Covers In STOCK! We offer these in 5 anodized colors.. Red, Black, Blue, Silver, Gold. Leave it to the British to produce something this sweet. Euro craftsmanship. Install is easy as it gets. Fits every model year MV Agusta F4, Brutale, and the new 1000cc F4
9. We are expecting our first shipment of MV Agusta Clear Blinker Lenses within the next 10 days. We'll offer front and rear lenses in a package deal..
10. Check out another Pirates' Lair Exclusive... A custom made MV Agusta specific Front Wheel Stand I've been using one for a few weeks.. it's too cool. Fits every model year MV Agusta F4, Brutale, and the new 1000cc.
11. The long awaited MV F4 1000 Exhaust Manifold's are in transit from Europe. We should have them by April 18th. We are the ONLY US importer.
12. We have a preliminary Remus Exhaust page up for the new K1200S and R bikes Will provide pics when we have some.. and NOT BEFORE!!
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2005
The 2005 Hill Country Rally is upon us! I'll be leaving in a few days. I think registration deadline is over. See you at Inn of the Hills, on April 14-17. Info is at http://www.tbmwsr.com/.
The BRPR 2005 is Set !!!! (info provided by the
inestimable Tim Hudspeth.. a.k.a CBNFVR)
Italy, May 2005 The German K12 Chat site at http://www.k1200rs.de/events/meeting-11/index.htm is having a K12 Rally in Northern Italy next year, May 26-29 2005, in San Damiano near Piacenza and just south of Milan.
Ride to Read Rally (from fellow K12'er Jerome Eberharter / Founder, CEO White Cloud
Coffee & self proclaimed Coffee Adventurer)
Summer Solstice Rally, Northeast (from the
quasi-esteemed Mike Cousino at www.I-BMW.com)
6th Annual Deals Gap K12 Rally ...will again be held at the
Tapoco Lodge in 2005, Sept
29th-Oct 1st to be precise. It won't hold us all, so make plans now! No
sign-up sheet yet. Just reserve a room and be there! Most of us from this
year already have a room, so it's not too soon to plan.
How-To-Survive On A
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and I'll add it on.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so shave your legs.
We have a new offering .. How To Relax Your Throttle Springs contributed by ex super-hero Matt McCabe (with spiritual guidance from Larry Wilbers)
Guess that kinda wraps this one up. Ride safe and best wishes for a insect-free spring!.... See ya in my mirrors...