'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Around every other month, when I deem you are worthy, we post our cheesy newsletter to inform the masses as to what's happening in the BMW world and of course... Pirates' Lair. How else are you going to find out?
Warning: While I do try to add a little humor in every newsletter, some of my language may offend the mild mannered, politically correct, liberal, or meek amongst us. If you are offended easily I suggest you stop reading here and look elsewhere for your written info-tainment.
FYI.. If you'd like to be notified when each new newsletter is posted, just email me with your request and I'll make that happen. Our email database is 100% secure. Stored in a lock box formerly owned by Al Gore. Never shared or sold to third parties. Never perused by the NSA.
The Latest Cheesy Pirates' Lair Newsletter: March 2004 Issue
and quasi-esteemed K12 Riders.... ..A famous (and slightly edited)
To Make You Afraid:
Remember my mention of the recall in last month's newsletter? In case you missed it, the recall involves all 2001-2004 K12's and 2000-2004 R bikes.. potentially 39,000.. Many dealers don't even know yet so don't be surprised if you call them to schedule the check/fix and they act clueless..or a little more clueless than usual. The recall involves the fuel system, hoses, lines, piping, and fittings. Apparently there's the potential for a gas tank barbecue with YOU being the entree. Not good. For info check out http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/04/v00958.htm or go directly to the NHTSA site and search for NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number #04V028000 Recall Date : JAN 15, 2004 Expect a letter from BMW in the weeks to come...
Well.. this just in
from a fellow K12RS rider...... (pasted)
From The Front
The 2004 K12 Hill Country
Rally is upon us. In case you've been in Panama shooting
Survivor All Stars and missed our last 4 newsletters, it will be
held on April 8-11th in Kerrville, Tx. Barry Gibbs, seasoned rider and
former financial adviser to Martha Stewart has again arranged this year's
rally to be held at Inn of the Hills in
Kerrville. I believe everyone that is attending has already signed up...
except for me. I'm still trying to get free for this one. IMHO.. the Texas Hill Country Rally is one of the best
K1200RS/GT rallies to be held anywhere. Great roads, no traffic, Texas
hospitality, and the largest roadkill you'll ever see.. Hope to see you
"Welcome to Adventures Workshop!! We are dedicated to
the adventure rider and the gear we use. On this site you will find
products that we personally use and abuse (unless it's really new and we
haven't gotten our grimy hands on the stuff yet..). If the equipment can't
take the crap we throw at it, we send it back. Our goal is to have all the
products in stock available for immediate delivery and in the case that we
do have to order something, our annoying E-mails will let you know the
status as often as you can stand it."
Graham County (the Deals Gap area) elected a new Sheriff in the fall of 2002. Bob Debruel was a retired North Carolina Highway Patrol Trooper and waged a successful campaign against the incumbent Sheriff Steve Odom. The major change that Debruel has made is the selling of the Graham County helicopter which used to patrol the Cherohala and other area roads on a limited basis. This does not mean that the county roads are now open for racing. All county cars are equipped with radar and speed enforcement is a priority.
THE LAW ON THE
CHEROHALA SKYWAY (according to the sacred writings of the Monroe County TN
Sheriff's web page)
What's new in the K1200RS/GT News...aka.. the No Wheel-Spin Zone (A slow month....)
1. Curve carver Jedi Knight, Vic over at http://www.i-bmw.com/ posted a few days ago that after questioning a BMW dealership on an advertised GT CDRom shop manual, he found out (after the dealer made a call to BMW North America) that there is no GT version CDRom and in fact it's just as RS version...So, buyers beware. Thanks Vic!
2. Congrats to
Karen & Stefan Verholen on the birth of
their first child together..and just 5 months after their wedding.. Hey...
that doesn't sound quite right!... Hmmm.. Where's my calculator? Christian
Johann Verholen was born March 1, 2004 2:30p.m. 8 lbs, 9 ozs. I've heard
Stefan has already signed Christian up for a motorcycle Training Course
for late April... Do they make helmets that small?
As all other dealer only items.. it's criminally priced at $150, but I'm sure it's a quality piece and should be at double the price of any other brake light additions on the market. If interested.. call your local extortionist...er.. dealer and ask for P/N: 99-99-0-005-484 it may just save your life.
4. We hear that yet another European company will be producing an exhaust system for the K1200RS/GT... Should have info in a few days...
new at Pirates' Lair?
1. Those front Clear Lenses for your 97-2001 K1200RS are in production! Have been told 4 weeks. I have a few pics up in our Photo Gallery It's the album called Clear Lenses for Early K12.. Duh. We will offer them with or without Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. The SilverStar's have a silver/clear/bluish appearance when off and an amber color when illuminated. They look great behind the clear lenses and only appear amber/orange when used. I have a waiting list if you want to be notified.
2. For those of you with the Silver/Blue K1200RS's...that have been on our backs about producing a tee with you're bike on it..it's done and we now have them in stock. Click HERE for a first look. Keep in mind, like the other tees we produce.. these are all limited production. When they are gone.. will probably not produce more. and No.. this is not a sales gimmick... not that I'm above that. So it is written.. so let it be done... In the month's to come, we plan on offering one more tee to the line-up... the Silver/Red bike.
3. About a year ago, a customer sent me photos of some custom torque arms a metal "artist" had fabricated for a R1100S.. They were simply stunning. The sucker that I am for pretty pieces .. I contacted the guy and pleaded...er.. asked if he would produce one for my bike.. He said.. NO, due to lack of time, but after a year I just received one of these beautiful arms and it is impressive. I have a few photo's posted in the Photo Album called K1200RS/GT Custom Torque Arm Project. No idea if he'll produce more. Opinions?
4. I broke the news in last months newsletter that we were sold out of our our Solo Seat Cowlings and there would be no more produced. Well up to that point sales had flatlined but after I posted the news I had quite a few calls from fellow K12'ers who wanted to whine about how they had stupidly been procrastinating, or that they had been saving their Doubloons/Pesos/Euros, or that a Cowling would save a dying man's life, or some such B.S... so Amber and I discussed it and decided to place one last order of about 2 dozen pieces.. Hopefully I should have them in about 4 weeks... and those will be the last. Really..I swear!! I have a waiting list if you want on it...
5. Our newest product to both our K12 and MV customers is the Baxley Sport Chock Simple, lightweight and will securely hold your K12/GT or sport bike upright by simply riding or pushing the bike into the chock.. As us K12'ers have a centerstand, this goodie would best be utilized in a trailer or pick-up when hauling. I put it on the menu mostly for either trailer use or for the sport bike people without the luxury of a centerstand.. It's designed for any bike with 120 x 17" front tires, which is just about every sport bike on the market including the KRS and GT. .Another great benefit of using the Baxley Chock is that no front tie downs are necessary if trailoring. Just secure the rear of the motorcycle with straps and the chock does the rest. Never bottom out your forks again. I don't have a K12 web page up yet, but I do have a page up in our MV section.
6. We're talking with Pace American about becoming vendors of their enclosed trailers. I recently drove to Nashville and checked them out.. Very impressed. Price for a single bike trailer with quite a few bells and whistles was only $2050... Not bad at all... The single bike 5 x 8' model we're looking at is the Journey.
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2004 /
The 2004 K12 Hill Country Rally is upon us. In case you've been in Panama shooting Survivor All Stars and missed our last 4 newsletters, it will be held on April 8-11th in Kerrville, Tx. Barry Gibbs, seasoned rider and former financial adviser to Martha Stewart has again arranged this year's rally to be held at Inn of the Hills in Kerrville. I believe everyone that is attending has already signed up... except for me. I'm still trying to get free for this one. IMHO.. the Texas Hill Country Rally is one of the best K1200RS rallies to be held anywhere. Great roads, no traffic, Texas hospitality, and the largest roadkill you'll ever see.. Hope to see you there, pilgrim.
The BMW Rally planned at the Biltmore
Estate here in Asheville, NC seems to be back on, but it
may or may not be a designated "BMW" rally.. Here’s the latest..
The 2004 K12 Blue Ridge Parkway Rally has been planned for May 6-9, 2004 and will be held at the Inn at Afton in Charlottesville, VA or (800) 860-8559. Rally planners have locked in 108 rooms / Rate = $50 a night. Reference "BMW" when calling. Register at www.abrahamson.net/brpr2004/index.htm
The 2004 Ride to
Read Rally from fellow K12'er and organizer, Jerome
Eberharter... Mark your calendars now for June 12, 2004, when riders
embark on an all-day adventure from Boise, Id. to Stanley and back to
raise money for literacy programs in our region. This year plan on more
people, more prizes, and more fun, with Team registration discounts
(groups of 3 or more riders) and prizes for the biggest teams, the most
creative team names, and the team raising the most money.
The 5th Annual Deals Gap K12 Rally will again be at the Tapoco Lodge on Sep 30th - Oct 3rd, 2004. As we did in 2003, Fontana Village and the Microtel Inn will be able to handle overflow. When contacting Tapoco about lodging mention K12RS BMW, or they may say they are full when actually it's reserved for "us". 828.498.2435 or 800.822.5083
How-To Tips ...|
I just added my own K1200RS/GT Gorilla™ Alarm Install How-To and we also added (2) How to Survive On Your Motorcycle tips (#65 & 66) sent in by the quasi-esteemed Mark Hammond of San Francisco, CA. Will they save your life?? Perhaps... Thanks guy...
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and I'll add it on.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so use deodorant.
Guess that smells like the end... Take care.. ride safe...best wishes for an early spring...see you in my mirrors..