'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Around every other month, when I deem you are worthy, we post our cheesy newsletter to inform the masses as to what's happening in the BMW world and of course... Pirates' Lair. How else are you going to find out?
Warning: While I do try to add a little humor in every newsletter, some of my language may offend the mild mannered, politically correct, liberal, or meek amongst us. If you are offended easily I suggest you stop reading here and look elsewhere for your written info-tainment.
FYI.. If you'd like to be notified when each new newsletter is posted, just email me with your request and I'll make that happen. Our email database is 100% secure. Stored in a lock box formerly owned by Al Gore. Never shared or sold to third parties. Never perused by the NSA.
The Latest Cheesy Pirates' Lair Newsletter: November 2003 Issue
Fellow esteemed and quasi-esteemed K12 Riders.... ."There was me, that is Pirate, my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie and Dim and we sat in the Korova milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Karova Milk Bar sold milkplus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old cheesy K12 newsletter". Yes.. it's that time again..... My quasi-humble attempt to inform you of what's new in the BMW K1200RS/GT community and... at Pirates' Lair.
News from the Front:
I was thinking the other day..I got over it of course, but something came to mind in a brief moment of clarity.... Has anybody bothered to thank our own Vic Saleem (and his crew) for all the work he's done on http://www.i-bmw.com/ lately? I know I haven't. The site is working like a well oiled ...well.. K12 these days... What would our pathetic excuse's for an existence be without it? Remember the old site? How it would go down about once a month.. Lets not take him for granted guys.. Drop in and post now and then.. If you appreciate what he's doing... say so...contribute a few dollars..send him expensive gifts...offer gratuitous sex... I think he takes contributions via PayPal. His site helps us all and it's (dare I say).. the best operating chat site I've ever visited..
We have an all new photo section at http://community.webshots.com/user/pirate0007 Lots of the best K1200RS and GT images that have been sent in from all over the world.. YOUR bike may be there... and YOU may even be in the KRS/GT Riders album...or our Visitors to Pirates' Lair photo album. If you happen to be in the witness protection program and would like your face removed... just say so... I'll either remove the pic or suggest a good plastic surgeon.... we understand...
I spoke to David, the owner of Bavarian Cycle Paint recently...he reminded me that besides painting our Solo Seat Cowlings, he also does fiberglass bodywork repairs. Thought I'd pass on his # in case any of you unfortunates happen to drop your bike and want to avoid the high cost of panel replacement. For what it's worth.. he does first class work using BMW spec paint... If you need something fixed or painted he's got my vote at 760 868-5726 PST
Just about a year ago, we lost a friend .. a fellow K12 rider.. Brad Reetz. I only met Brad once or twice, but as many of you know, he was a great guy.. the kind of guy that you instantly knew you'd like to hang out with.. always something funny to say. Very sweet, thoughtful, and gentle man. On a fateful day last December, his 30+ years riding experience and full protective gear couldn't protect him from the truck that rear-ended him and threw him into the guardrail on an Eastern US interstate. Like the rest of us.. Brad knew the risks... and I suspect if he had to go.. he'd have wanted to go out on two wheels. At the time, his crash caught us all off guard, as these things always do, but the story doesn't end there... you see..... I later found out that Brad left behind a 10 year old daughter that he had been raising by himself.......* sigh *
I can not imagine the grief his young daughter must have experienced.. her own life shattered in an instant.. never to be the same..and it's just worst that this happened at one of the happiest times of the year for a child... Christmas. At the time, there was not much any of us could do to help her.. or to comfort her..
A year has now passed and I'm hoping some of the child's pain has lessened, but she will be thinking about him in the next few weeks during the holidays. FYI.. Amber and I have decided to enlarge and frame a copy of this picture (taken by Vic) and give it to her. I think Brad would have wanted her to remember him like this...but we'd like to do more and we thought you might, too.
Have spoken briefly to Vic at http://www.i-bmw.com/ who also knew and rode with Brad, and we have decided to jointly do something for Brad's daughter and we'd like to invite anyone to contribute to the cause... to let her know that she is not alone in missing her father. At this point we do NOT know how or what we'll do with the contributions as we have not spoken to the little girl's caretakers, but we'll pool all the funds and either buy her something she needs, or give her a check, or open a savings account.. along with the aforementioned framed pic with possibly and inscription from all of us. We will figure it out in the weeks to come and keep everyone posted via Vic's site. FYI.. I'm currently working on a web page that will have an instant-donation button (and I think Vic will be doing the same) to make it easy for anyone wanting contribute a dollar or two. For now.. if anyone would like to contribute any amount.. you can:
HERE to go to
a Brad's Daughter Christmas Fund Contribution
Page or visit www.piratesK12site.net/Brad1.htm
B. Go directly to Paypal at http://www.paypal.com/ and send ANY contribution to email@example.com Once there, Click the option to send $$ as "Goods (other)" and make a note in the text field that it's for the "Brad" Fund.
C. Send a check or M/O to: Pirates' Lair / Fund for Brad / 1279 Charlotte Hwy / Fairview, NC 28730 You can make your check out to either Jerry Finley OR Pirates' Lair and make a note in the text field that it's for the "Brad" Fund.
I assure you.. 100% of the funds we collect will go to his daughter.. Updates to follow at http://www.i-bmw.com/ and in our next newsletter due out just before Christmas.
|What's new in the K1200RS News...?
1. Have been approached by a company in Denmark to become the lone US importer/distributor of Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses for the early model K12 body style. As you may or may not know, we almost produced some a few years ago but was going to be too cost prohibitive. These guys tell me that if we pool our resources.. a "hands across the water" project, if you will... it might be worth our while.. I have agreed and just waiting for further contact..Stay tuned..
2. For all the XM owners out there, there's new item on the market... Two Wheel Radio has just released the XRC Rain Cover for the Delphi SKYFi Receiver. Cost is about $50 at http://www.twowheelradio.com/XRC%20Rain%20Cover%20Product.htm I have asked them to design one of these for a V1 or Passport... he seemed intrigued..
3. Rumors of the next generation K1200RS are true no matter what the BMWNA "suits" says... at least 160HP, in-line 4 engine, much lighter, exhaust on the other side, totally different front end suspension... still shaft drive. Waiting for more specs from my spies in Germany.
4. as reported
last month, looks like there is finally a front wheel
stand on the market for the KRS and GT's... BMW part # 99 99 0 005
289 Cost from your dealer is a lofty $199 retail... but would you expect
anything else? The part is so new that it's not in the micro-fish or
5. Want to see the K1200RS ridden to the adhesion limits.. Of course you do. Check out the website belonging to Den Galne Dansken a.k.a...the Mad Dane ... lots of cool pics and a video, I think.. He even gives step by step instructions on dragging your knee... Very cool site, me thinks.. http://www.galnedansken.com/ Kids.. don't try this at home..
6. That SOB, old man winter is just about upon us.... Thought I'd share a money saving tip... Chaparral Motorsports at http://www.chaparralmotorsports.com/ is having a sale on their Super Smart Battery Tenders.. I bought one of these about 2 years ago for my K12 at $60+... the sale price is $34.97 and part # is 321-2100. If they ask it was posted in their Winter 2003 Catalog # 62 Unless I'm mistaken.. you can NOT use these with the NEW Gel type batteries.
7. Getting lost frequently? You must be following me....There's a new GPS on the market... it's the Garmin 2610 and is now their top of the line model. It's the same size as the Street Pilot III, but now has a waaay cool touch screen (and yes you can use it even with gloves). Possibly the best on the market...No idea of price.
What's new at Pirates' Lair?
1. Next on our menu for the K12 crowd will be the Daytona Hubcap from Wunderlich of Germany Yes.. the Verholen hubcaps were recently discontinued but I didn't give up on finding a "worthy" replacement cover for those ugly lug nuts As fate would have it.. these beauties are now on the market. This wheel cover is simple to install, works on both the 5.0 and 5.5 wheels, looks trick, and makes cleaning your wheels so much easier. Just waiting for our first shipment to arrive.
2. Just waiting for our first shipment of the Verholen Short Shifter to arrive from Germany. It's a little item that shortens the "throw" of the KRS/GT shifter by a full 1". A friend told me that his K now shifts as quickly as a GSXR... Apparently there are TWO versions.. early and late model. Trying to figure out the breakdown as we speak... They may offer a rebate for returning the stock pieces... trying to figure that out as well... Web page in the works.
3. Our Honda ST1300 Stealth Backrest is on the market as of 11/8 and selling like Spam in Hawaii. We're trying to find space for all the cash flowing in.
4. Suburban GT Barbacks are in stock. Like the American Machine RS barbacks, they change the grip angle by 10 degrees. As per the prophesy..we also have a small supply of the custom made LONGER cables for those that need them. Customer comments have started to trickle in and I have posted them at http://piratesk12site.net/SuburbanGTCC.htm
5. That Luggage Rack we had pictured on our website is off the menu. Had many requests for these...Designer was simply not interested in getting it done.. I got tired of asking.. movin' on.. sorry guys.. I refuse to beg these people to make them money...
6. FYI... We have made a biz decision to discontinue our Scoop Kits for the early model bikes... Why? Looks like we've sold about all we're going to and I don't want to pay the plastics factory for another production run. We currently have a few left in stock and once they are gone... that'll be it, folks... What's that sound??? Me thinks it's the fat lady singing? Have to admit.. I'm proud of that one... http://piratesk12site.net/scoop.htm
7. Like everyone else in the US.. we are out of the Staintune Exhausts The good news is we have reserved quite a few and have been told that the ship is due into port on my birthday... Nov 14th.
8. Looks like
theres about to be what I can only call a REVOLUTIONARY New
Helmet on the market soon and we're trying to get one of only a
handful of US distributorships for them. The Reevu
MSX-1 Helmet at http://www.reevu.com/ has a series of
mirrors made somehow into the rear that projects a rear view image across
the top front of your inner visor allowing the rider a full view of what's
behind them... We have filled out all the paperwork and are just waiting
for approval . We just received this from the
Of course the questions are.. is it comfortable? is it quiet? is it attractive? How much will it cost? Does Halle Berry sleep with or without panties? All important questions... and unknown at this time and believe me.. if it's a piece o' crap we'll bail on the offer, but if it's a top quality lid and it actually works.. it will be invaluable to many .. especially those of us with hard core sport bikes where the only thing we see in our mirrors is our elbows and/or occasionally flashing blue lights. .. I'm very excited about this...
9. Looks like we may soon be carrying the Wunderlich of Germany line of products. In talks as I write this...
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2004 /
Word from a few different sources including Rider Magazine and Motorrad say there's gonna be a big BMW Rally at the Biltmore Estate here in Asheville, NC at http://www.biltmore.com/ supposedly in May or June 2004. The Biltmore has graciously agreed to open up a large area of their estate for campers. In case you are unfamiliar with this place.. it's the bomb.. think Hearst Castle luxurious. Very scenic.. a huge tourist attraction here on the east coast.. IMHO.. it should be an excellent place for a rally with mountain roads within 10 minutes... will probably have some sort of gathering here at the 'Lair... Details to come...
Next year's 2004 K12 Hill Country Rally is already in the works for April 8-11, 2004 in Kerrville, Tx. Barry Gibbs, the "seasoned" rally organizer (and former fluffer in the porn biz) speaks... "I have already reserved a block of rooms at Inn of the Hills in Kerrville, TX and made arrangements for the Friday night dinner at the hotel. I will update the Rally website later this summer and start taking reservations in the Fall. So mark those dates on your calendar right now. The Hill Country Rally is one of the best K1200RS rallies to be held anywhere. Great roads, no traffic and Texas hospitality. Go to www.nine-eleven.com/rally and check the photos of the 2003 Rally."
The 2004 K12 Blue Ridge Parkway Rally has been planned for May 6-9, 2004 and will be held at the Inn at Afton in Charlottesville, VA at http://www.theinnatafton.com/index1.html-ssi or (800) 860-8559.) Rally planners have locked in 108 rooms / Rate = $50 a night. Reference "BMW" when calling. You will probably be assigned a room number. King or Double rooms, smoking or non, if guarantee needed after 6 be sure to request. Fri Sat Sun breakfast buffet available. Saturday evening buffet in planning (meal at the Inn means no night driving a.k.a... 2 wheeled deer tag, rain, drinks not a problem, etc. Register at www.abrahamson.net/brpr2004/index.htm I'll be there...
Yes.. the rubber from
our tires is still warm and balled up on the edges from the recent Deals
Gap Rally, but.. the 5th Annual Deals Gap K12
Rally is already scheduled!! Tapoco
Lodge is reserved for Sep 30th - Oct 3rd, 2004.
Uncharacteristically... our planners are using foresight that would make
Nostradamous envious....I'm impressed. As we did in 2003, Fontana Village and the Microtel
Inn will be able to handle overflow. When contacting Tapoco about
lodging mention K12RS BMW, or they may say they are full when actually
it's reserved for "us". 828.498.2435 or 800.822.5083 Tell them you are
with the BMW K12 group.
How to Survive Tips
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and I'll add it on.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so use deodorant..