"Gather 'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Around the 15th of
each month, when I deem you are worthy, we put out our cheesy K12
newsletter to inform the masses as to what's happening in the BMW
K12RS/GT/S world and of course... Pirates'
Lair. How else are you going to find out? If you want to
subscribe and have these sent via e-mail to your home or office just let
us know at firstname.lastname@example.org ..
otherwise you'll get 95% of it here. Why only 95%? Because I tend to tell
the brutal truth as I see it on many issues/products and while I don't
mind spewing "my opinion" into your home, office or cell .. I have no
desire to slam, insult, or malign any company, individual, competitor in
public.. unless they blatantly deserve it.
December 2004 Issue : Happy Holidays
|Fellow esteemed and quasi-esteemed K12 Riders.... ..A famous (and slightly edited ) movie moment to start the holiday season......|
Arthur's magnificent sword and claim to power is destroyed during the
battle with the unknown knight, Lancelot. When all hope seems lost, all
see beneath the water in a nearby pool.. the Lady of the Lake who
miraculously is holding Excalibur intact. Arthur dips his hand under the
water and grasps the hilt. The vision in the blue-green water fades. He
rises with Excalibur in hand. Just then Lancelot who has been downed by
Arthur's onslaught stirs. Arthur rushes to his side. He loosens his helmet
and removes it, uncovering damp curls. The young knight's eyes open, and
his laughing charm once more animates his face.
Thanks to God, you are alive.
Lancelot / Nicholas Anthony Phillip Clay / Arthur / Nigel Terry / Excalibur 1981
News From The Two-Wheeled No-Spin Zone...!!
Shaka.. When the
Walls Fell: No More K1200RS!! End of an Era
|K1200S Bike / Update on Production and Probs
Members of the German K12 Chat site http://www.k1200s.net/ visited the plant in Berlin and had the chance to talk to a project leader directly. They got the following information:
1. Production of the S bike will start again in January
2. In March they plan to ship 2,500 "S" bikes (including bikes for test driving and customer bikes already ordered)
3. The reported problems with the camshaft was noticed in only 2 out of 200 bikes. Despite this BMW decided to stop shipping because they wanted to avoid customers testing (which has happened with the KRS).
4. Motor management and fuel consumption glitches apparently have been worked out...
By now everyone knows that the new K1200S bikes have been hit with problem after problem. Currently, demo bikes have been pulled from ALL vendors worldwide and bikes that have been delivered to customers in both Germany and the UK have been recalled for crankshaft replacement. I find all this curious as you know BMW has been testing the new engine for over a year... Why the f*@# didn't they discover these things prior to releasing them? Can you imagine a Japanese manufacturer doing this? Me neither...
From Look Rock, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
I know that this time of year, most including myself are not thinking about anything except trying not to trip over the Battery Tender wires or avoiding the wife's latest holiday shopping sojourn much less a motorcycling trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a bit chilly for most of us at the higher elevations, but if you have a window of opportunity, a heated vest,and aren't worried about "shrinkage".. ...you might want to Click HERE. before you suit up. It's a real-time camera view of the southernmost end of the parkway with info as to current temp, wind speeds, humidity, etc.. Weather changes quickly in the mountains and flying around a perfectly dry curve to run into a seasonal snow storm is not fun.. Trust me on this.
What's New In the K1200RS/GT/S World
|1. Don't know about the rest of you, but I almost always buy my tires
from Discount Motorcycle Tires
They have always given me first class service AND the best prices around..
FYI.. Until Dec 23rd they are offering FREE SHIPPING on orders of $150 or
more... Need rubber? Buy now..
2. We were just notified that the Austrian exhaust manufacturers, Remus are now offering their K1200RS/GT Carbon Fiber Exhaust Systems in all new OVAL canister. It's $100 more than the round version.
3. Speaking of Remus... they are
also working on an exhaust for the new K1200S.
Announced their newest Motorcycle Helmet with
BlueTooth technology. / Contributed by our good friend
Locus of Borg in Norway, Oslo
The system is completely integrated in the helmet and homologised for this purpose. It consists of two virtually invisible Array microphones in the forehead area, a digital signal processor (DSP) to filter interference and wind noise, a Bluetooth module, two speakers and an integrated set of batteries. On the left there is a control panel with three buttons for the functions "On/Off/Select" (this includes the "pairing" which connects the two devices and "multifunction" for connecting further devices) as well as "+" and "-" for loud and soft). No prices or availability as of yet.
6. If you want to see the latest BMW (and most of the other manufacturers) has to offer... check out the 24th Annual Cycle World Motorcycle Show . Dates/places are posted. The question is.. will they have an S bike on display..?. Amber and I will walk among the mortals at the Chicago show in mid February.
7. ZTechnik just lowered the prices on their K1200RS/GT Z Exhaust Systems by about $50....
8. BMW of Santa Cruz is now the lone vendor for Wunderlich accessories. They produce hubcaps, windshield doodads, oil cooler screens, foofoo oil filler plugs, final drive plugs, etc for the K1200RS/GT. Quality products...
What's New at Pirates' Lair?
Looks like Pirates' Lair is in BMWON Magazine again... A customer
just pointed out to us that there's an article in the Dec issue by Mike
Cohen (a fellow K1200RS rider) on our Front Clear Lens Kit...
Caught us completely off guard... Very cool. Timing is good as we finally
have them In Stock. The perfect Xmas
gift for that 98-01 RS owner that you thought had everything except
2. The BRAKE LED Light Kit's are finally In Stock!! IMHO.. it's simply the best tail light kit on the market! Yes.. a bold statement especially since I have tried just about everything out there. While I'm not a huge fan of LED's in general.. the kit has won me over. It's visually stunning, easy to install, and is as clean as it gets. I'd guess that it's about 300% brighter than stock. The LED kit essentially replaces your prehistoric rear tail light bulb with a circuit board filled with ultra-bright LED's.. The install took me all of 15 minutes and the only tool needed was a freakin' screwdriver.
3. For a limited time only starting Dec 1st...you or your handlers will receive a FREE Pirates' Lair Hat with every K12RS/GT exhaust system sold . Remus, Staintune, Two Brothers, or ZTechnik...I should note that these hats are babe magnets so if your personality and/or expensive toys aren't effective bait for the opposite sex.. these hats should do the trick..... Guaranteed to get you laid more often. Note: The guarantee doesn't apply to married customers. Saavy?
4. Last month I was quoted as saying..."Hell must have frozen over and monkeys are flying out my butt as we finally have the Austrian made Carbon Fiber Front Fenders in stock." Yes.. twas true but we have already decided to discontinue selling them. Why? Out of (20) units we received from Austria... 1/2 were not up to our standards. We hand inspected them all, shipped anything questionable back to the importer, and have already sold all the good ones we had. Bottom line..They are sold out and we will NOT be importing more. However...as not to leave you with no options... our importer was MaxMoto in California and I'll assume they will continue to import these. Tell them I sent you...
5. New and In Stock is the H.A.R.D. Wireless Radar Detector Device After testing a V1 unit for almost a year on my MV F4, I have deemed the wireless device... worthy. ... Instead of a blaring speaker or a faint light, the Inside Helmet Visual Alert .. a.k.a.H.A.R.D. provides an immediate visual alert via a flashing LED light , inside the helmet .. without wires! WE offer two versions.. Valentine and Passport 8500/8500X-50.. To make life easier on our quasi-esteemed customers, we also offer spare batteries at a fraction of retail price... Just because we love you.. in a non-homosexual way, of course, not that there's anything wrong with that..
7. Once again
we have heard the pleas from the whining masses and again we deliver.. Our
newest Pirates' Lair
Tees are in stock!!. These feature the Silver bike with Red Stripes. and like all the other
versions.. these are limited edition. Once they are gone, there will be no
more produced no matter how many deviant sexual favors involving warm oil
and feathers are offered.. Unlike previous versions, these are available
in LONG SLEEVE only.. and 100% preshrunk cotton... It appears they
run a little large so order accordingly. Breaking centuries old
traditions, we are offering these long-sleeve tees in two colors. White
and light gray. However, as of this writing.. the size LARGE are already
8. Amber is still collecting pics for a K12RS/GT CALENDAR.... We'd like to ask you.. the yearning masses for your BEST scenic shot featuring a KRS or GT... We are NOT looking for shots of your bike in garage or your patio (unless you live at the Taj Mahal or the White House or.... theres some gratuitous female nudity involved).. We're looking for scenic views... We'll need hi-rez images.. not small internet size pics... and please do us a favor... do NOT send us dozens of pics with your Sharpei on the seat or nephew Nathan sitting on the bike.. Choose your BEST 1 or 2 shots. And what will you receive for your gratitude?? Well.. besides a hardy pat on the buttock from Amber and sincere thanks, you'll get a free calendar if we use your pic... and the knowledge that you made a quasi-selfless gesture in order to promote the sport.
9. We have tentatively decided on our next backrest project... Looking at the 2005 R1200RT. You heard it here first you scurby mates.
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2005
for the 2005 Hill Country Rally has
changed! Word from fellow K12'er, Sir Barry Gibbs.. former anger
management therapist for Ron Artest.
The BRPR 2005 is Set !!!! (info provided by the
inestimable Tim Hudspeth.. a.k.a CBNFVR)
Italy, May 2005 The German K12 Chat site at http://www.k1200rs.de/events/meeting-11/index.htm is having a K12 Rally in Northern Italy next year, May 26-29 2005, in San Damiano near Piacenza and just south of Milan.
Ride to Read Rally (from fellow K12'er Jerome Eberharter / Founder, CEO White Cloud
Coffee & self proclaimed Coffee Adventurer)
Summer Solstice Rally, Northeast (from the
quasi-esteemed Mike Cousino at www.I-BMW.com)
6th Annual Deals Gap K12 Rally ...will again be held at the
Tapoco Lodge in 2005, Sept
29th-Oct 1st to be precise. It won't hold us all, so make plans now! No
sign-up sheet yet. Just reserve a room and be there! Most of us from this
year already have a room, so it's not too soon to plan.
Survive on a Motorcycle
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and I'll add it on.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so shave your legs.
Guess that kinda wraps this one up. This will be the last communiqué for 2004. It's been a good year for Amber and I (and Pirates' Lair) thanks to many of you.. or in spite of many of you. We appreciate your help, advice, encouragement, and occasional naked pics. Best wishes to you all...
In spite of what the far left ACLU would like us to say, we sincerely hope that you and yours (no matter what bike you ride and/or religion) have a a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Remember if you're gonna drink...stop by here and of course... leave the bike at home...
For our US
troops and loyal allies serving around the world....a heartfelt
thankyou for everything you are doing for us and the world and...
Godspeed. Best wishes to you and your families.