"Gather 'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Around the 15th of
each month, when I deem you are worthy, we put out our cheesy K12
newsletter to inform the masses as to what's happening in the BMW
K12RS/GT/S world and of course... Pirates'
Lair. How else are you going to find out? If you want to
subscribe and have these sent via e-mail to your home or office just let
us know at firstname.lastname@example.org ..
otherwise you'll get 95% of it here. Why only 95%? Because I tend to tell
the brutal truth as I see it on many issues/products and while I don't
mind spewing "my opinion" into your home, office or cell .. I have no
desire to slam, insult, or malign any company, individual, competitor in
public.. unless they blatantly deserve it.
The Latest Cheesy Pirates' Lair Newsletter: June 2005 Issue
|Fellow esteemed and quasi-esteemed motorcyclists.... ..A famous (and slightly edited ) movie moment to start the day.....|
As the boat drifts alongside the seemingly never-ending curve of the cyclorama, TRUMAN's attention is drawn to an outline in the otherwise flawless backdrop. He retrieves the identikit picture of Sylvia from his coat pocket and clambers to the prow of the boat. There, camouflaged in the painted skyscape just above the water line, is a door. Truman walks the few steps to the top and grabs hold of the recessed doorhandle. He stands in front of the door and closes his eyes in a silent prayer. CHRISTOF opens a small panel on his desk, breaks a seal, and speaks into the emergency P.A. system that is linked to the entire studio.
Christof: Truman!. Christof's voice booms over the
now calm ocean.
News From The Two-Wheeled No-Spin Zone...!!
Black from Machu Pichu: You Can Relax Now
As most of you know, we were closed for 10 days a couple of weeks ago for a long overdue vacation to Peru. We appreciate everyone's understanding while we were closed. If you get bored, check out our photos! I loaded these in TWO albums.. one is mostly of the trip.. the other is mainly the Machu Pichu ruins...Go to http://pirateslair.smugmug.com/ or http://www.community.webshots.com/user/pirate0007
Once there, over on the far RIGHT hand side.. click on NEWEST This will take you to BOTH the Peru albums...FYI.. I posted my trip report at http://www.i-bmw.com/
in the "Ride Tales" section. You'll need to log-in to view it. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll have a clue as to what to expect should you ever make the sojourn...
|BMW in Moto Grand Prix Racing?
Sources in Europe are saying that until just a few weeks ago, BMW was actually looking into a fully financed Moto GP Racing team...With the advent of the new S and R bikes and their new attempt at garnering a new, younger image with heaps of horsepower and boring Japanese-like styling... it seems like a logical step, similar to what MV is now doing with the new 1000cc F4. BMW corporate had the meetings, approved the funding, but when it came to choosing a rider.. all wanted moto-god Valentino Rossi. All agreed that if they couldn't get him.. what's the point..? Bottom line.. they couldn't get him.. Project (we hear) is dead.
Kit On the Market from Rhinewest Performance, Inc
"The Cam Kit does NOT include cams.. but instead..the kit
replaces the cam sprockets. We'll offer a sprocket set (both intake and
exhaust). The reason these only work best with the stock exhaust is
because of the back pressure created, it helps to boost the torque. If you
install these on a bike with a freeflow exhaust you will not see any gain,
(for now) At the moment only have the kits for the K1200RS/GT early and
late. and for the K1200LT 05 only. We will be working on the early LTs
What's New In the K1200RS/GT/S/R No-Spin Zone
|1. Speaking of RW Chips.. (For you 2005 LT
people).. Just got off the phone with Sir Jim of Rhinewest and he said the
05 LT Chip is not gonna happen after all... He didn't give details..The 05
LT Cam Kit is still coming but NOT ready for release.. He will notify us
as soon as he has info on availability and price..
2. Verholen of Germany has some sort of fairing spacer for the K1200S bike..offering better wind protection. Cost is just under $25US... Very clever..
3. Attention you "S" and "R" owners...Baxley, makers of the wood-giving Baxley Wheel Chocks just raised their pricing by
$10ea across the board..The greatest invention since the Auto Suck,
5. We've heard a rumor that a certain British company is working on frame sliders for the K1200S and K1200R bikes...
6. A customer
pointed us to an all new
British-made GT fairing option ..Written material says...
7. Need parts for your BMW? Need a part #? The parts fiche for most Beemers including the new "S" bike is available on the Max BMW site...
8. Along with
Sargent, Mayer, Russell, Corbin, and La-Z-Boy... there's a new seat on the
market for our beloved K bikes from http://www.kontourseat.com/
10. Are Deals Gap and/or the Blue Ridge Pky too far for you to come for a K12 Rally? I feel ya, you west coasters. Well... dry dem crocodile tears as a fellow K12'er is working on a possible Lake Tahoe K12 Rally !! Will post info as it comes in... Sure hope this one works out..!! Damn beautiful place.
11. There's a sweet looking Tinted Double Bubble Windshield coming out of France for the K1200S.. We're trying to get more info. Anyone interested? Price looks to be 118.00 Euro = $144.USD before shipping.
12. IPod getting wet? without foreplay? Ram Mounts will soon have a waaay cool solution. We just heard from them about the upcoming RAM Aqua Box Enclosures for MP3's & Satellite Radios. There will be 2 sizes, the Aqua Box 2 (medium size for the std. iPod, Creative, Dell, MyFi, etc) and the Aqua-Box 3 for the mini series of MP3 players. Check out their website at http://www.ram-mount.com/ Due on the market in 30-45 days. For additional info contact them at email@example.com or Phone: 206-763-8361
What's New at Pirates' Lair?
We now have Throttlemeister's for the
K1200S, K1200R, AND R1200GS on our menu. However.. our first shipment
SOLD OUT instantly. The good news is...
we hope to have more in 2-3 days. If I owned an "S"or "R" bike.. this
would be the FIRST accessory I'd buy (after the Auto Suck, of course.).
Throttlemeister makes TWO versions for the "S" bike. We will carry only
the standard version. They also make a heavier and slightly longer model,
but I chose NOT to carry it as I personally think the shorter version,
which works EXACTLY the same, looks better on the "S" bike. And in the
end.. isn't it my opinion that matters most?
Increasing: Prices just went up a few dollars across the board on
the Wilbers shocks for the
3. Decreasing: Prices just went down a full 100 Euro on our MV Agusta Wilbers shocks.. Go figure..
4. We'll have a new K1200S/R Helmet Lock on the menu any day now... Very cool.. very sleek.. and as the lock is made by BMW, you should be able to use your ignition key to unlock the helmet lock.. in theory. Will list them on our "S" and "R" bike Product page as soon as we have them in stock. We'll have 2 versions.. One for the bikes with the black frame.. and one for the silver..Install is under 10 minutes. Isn't your hat worth it?
5. We are currently testing the prototype of our Suzuki V-Strom Stealth Backrest. Just posted the first pics of the design at http://pirateslair.net/SuzukiV.htm While it isn't as quite as sleek as we were hoping for, it looks as sturdy as a Pit Bull on steroids. If all goes well.. will go straight into production. Why the Suzuki? We get a lot of requests for them..and divine providence.
6. As per a little known Nostradamous prophesy.. our R1200GS Stealth Backrest hit the market this month!... Spread the news, my brethren. Baby needs a new pair of Corsas.
8. Become one with your new K1200S with a factory shop manual on CD ROM from BMW.. We have a large shipment on order... No delivery date as of yet..
9. Speaking of the K1200S... we have a few other goodies in transit from Germany.. Not sure yet if they'll fit the "R" but they should.. In Transit.. Passenger Peg Lowering Kits and Shift Lever Extensions...
10. After a 13 freakin' week wait.. we finally have the PIAA Light Kits In Stock for the K1200RS and GT
11. We just received our first shipment of MV Agusta Clear Blinker Lenses . We have them for the front and rear.. F4 and Brutale. Waaay cool.
12. Artwork for the new Pirates' Lair Hats is almost done... As with the tee's, they will be available in limited numbers.
13. The latest issue of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) has a great write up/review of our venerable Honda ST1300 Stealth Backrest by legendary moto journalist and former Sith Lord.. Fred Rau. In a word.. it rocked his world..and.. we're greatful for the kind review.
14. Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but for our K12RS/GT customers waiting for the Austrian-made Carbon Fiber front fenders... I've decided to cancel our order with the importer.. refund all payments.. and call it a f#@*ed up day. FYI.. They have been on back-order for 3 months and IMHO.. this is inexcusable. Bottom line.. I'm mad as hell and not gonna take it any more.. You just have to draw the line somewhere, my friends...
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2005
6th Annual Deals Gap K12 Rally ...will again be held at the
Tapoco Lodge in 2005, Sept
29th-Oct 1st to be precise. It won't hold us all, so make plans now! No
sign-up sheet yet. Just reserve a room and be there! Most of us from this
year already have a room, so it's not too soon to plan.
2006 Hill Country Rally is already in the works!! !
Here's a note from our good pardner James Myrick,... next year's
How-To-Survive On A
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive on your Motorcycle, How to Survive Deals Gap, or any How-To link.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and if it's worthy... I'll add it.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so shave your legs.
No contributions this month..
Guess that kinda wraps this one up. Ride safe and best wishes for a good summer!.... See ya in my mirrors...