'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Around every other month, when I deem you are worthy, we post our cheesy newsletter to inform the masses as to what's happening in the BMW world and of course... Pirates' Lair. How else are you going to find out?
Warning: While I do try to add a little humor in every newsletter, some of my language may offend the mild mannered, politically correct, liberal, or meek amongst us. If you are offended easily I suggest you stop reading here and look elsewhere for your written info-tainment.
FYI.. If you'd like to be notified when each new newsletter is posted, just email me with your request and I'll make that happen. Our email database is 100% secure. Stored in a lock box formerly owned by Al Gore. Never shared or sold to third parties. Never perused by the NSA.
The Latest Cheesy Pirates' Lair Newsletter: May 2004 Issue
Fellow esteemed and quasi-esteemed K12 Riders.... ..A famous (and slightly edited) movie quote...
Gladiator, the Emperor has asked for you.
Maximus: Russell Crowe / Commodus: Joaquin Phoenix / Gladiator 2000
Things First: Here Ye.. Here Ye...
Pirates' Lair will be closed (as in completely shut down) from May 19th - May 25th while Amber and I visit warmer climates in celebration of our 2 year (or is it 3 year?) anniversary.
Let's Get Reeaaady
To Rumble: Product Pilfering? or a case of Innocent Plundering?
To be fair, we contacted RAM for their response and received nothing but a serene silence..
Up: Potential New K Bike Problem...Fuel Map Problems?
This just in from a customer...and FYI.. This is the first I've heard of this so take it for what it's worth..
"Jerry... thought Id give you a shout and let you know of a new K Bike problem. It seems there where some faulty fuel maps in the late 03's. The mechanic thought it was a bad throttle body potentiomiter and put a new one on and it didn't fix the problem. It had a dead spot down about 1800 RPM. Then he called the tech rep and he told him to order a new computer. This didn't fix the problem either. It seems there have been several problems so far but no service bulletin as of yet. Just thought you might want know. "
What's new in the K1200RS/GT News...aka.. the No Wheel-Spin Zone (A slow month....)
1. The Blue Ridge Parkway Rally was excellent this year. Perfect weather.. perfect roads, beautiful scenery. I had a great time. My pics (and a few donated by attendees) are HERE . it's the album entitled Blue Ridge Pky K12 Rally 2004. A special thanks to all involved in arranging it...VicS, Tim, etc.. I think there were only a couple of crashes this year.. about normal for these gatherings.. no serious injuries. Only a handful of "velocity awards" were received and they were a bit north on Skyline Drive. I believe Tim (CBNFVR) is already in the planning stages for the 2005 Rally.
2. Been speeding
lately? While I would never break traffic laws..( that would be WRONG),
I know many of you do on a regular basis .Here's some good news for those
smart enough to arm themselves with protection... There's a new upgraded
version of the venerable Passport 8500
The new version is called the 8500 X50
which supposedly offers up to 50% more range an ALL important K and Ka
bands, better laser warning, and better POP
protection, whatever the hell that is.. The new version even comes with
optional BLUE lighting.
Carbon Fiber? While it's not everyone's cup 'o swill... check out
this new offering from Boxer Design in Germany. www.boxer-design.de/en/tankrucksack.htm
It covers the entire top section of the tank. A bit pricey at 198 Euro
(about $240US), but looks interesting.. If any one buys one.. send me
5. Good news...or just another tease?. There will be a US made Short Shift Kit on the market within the next 6 weeks or so we are told. Cost will be an estimated $150-$175.. Half what www.Verholen.de charges. Looks like it may ONLY be for the 2002+ models. If you have one of these kits on your bike (like I do) you know how big a difference it makes.. Details to come..
The June issue of Motorcyclist has
the new 170hp BMW Sportbike in it.. with
some very interesting info... According to the article, BMW
will NOT discontinue the KRS or GT, but will simply add the new
"S" bike to the line up.. designated the K40.. Amongst
Ride the new bike around the Nuerburgring track by clicking HERE Markus Barth did a very good job. I've been told the fastest time at this track by bike was 7:48. And he did 7:57. An average driver will take 9:00 to 10:00. (Thanks, A)
7. Metzeler has just released it's new zero-degree belt Roadtec Z6 tire on the market. I think it's meant to replace the aging MEZ4. Verbiage sounds impressive. 30% better in the rain, 20% better handing over-all, 20% better grip at 30% lean angle (comparable with the Sportec M-1's), and up to 8000 miles estimated mileage. Might be worth a try. I should mention, and this is only my omnipotent opinion.... There are a lot of tires on the market, so we have a plethora of ways to spend our hard earned, dollars, Euro's, Peso's, Dracma's so keep this in mind... Metezeler is the ONLY company out there that produces ONLY motorcycle tires. They cater to us...IMHO, we should support them if they have a comparable product.. I for one always give them preferential consideration when I'm thinking about buying tires...Lastly.. if anyone has feedback on these tires, I'd like to hear it.. About to replace my M-1's (got only 2800 miles) and am considering the new Z6..
new at Pirates' Lair?
1. Those front Clear Lenses for your 97-2001 K1200RS are slowly starting to arrive!Web page is up HERE. We will offer them with or without Sylvania SilverStar version 1156A ST bulbs. The SilverStar have a silver/clear/bluish appearance when off and an amber color when illuminated. You can purchase the bulbs in some auto parts places for $25 a pair. They look great behind the clear lenses and only appear amber/orange when used. Production is VERY slow on these taking a week to produce 10 pair... We are currently filling back-orders but have a few in stock.... but there's more.. We were just notified by the manufacturer that due to the higher than anticipated scrap rate for casting the part, they are going to bump the price by $5 per set in order to make the project financially viable. With that said.. as of June 1st expect a $5 per pair increase to $77US... Of course, that's still cheaper then the $100 per pair BMW charges for their late model clear lenses..
2. In last months newsletter, I mentioned some custom torque arms a metal "artist" had fabricated for us, complete with the Pirates' Lair logo.. He recently sent us 12 arms and they sold like crack in Harlem, but he's agreed to produce a few more.. . I have a few photo's posted in the Photo Album called K1200RS/GT Custom Torque Arm Project If you are interested in one of the last beauties.. e-mail me or forever hold your piece. (yes.. I meant to spell it that way.. ;-)
3. We have pulled the K1200RS'GT Staintune Exhausts from our product line due to price gouging from the lone importer, CBT Imports. They claim that the new pricing is due to the strong Euro, but we believe this is b%#@*t.. We called Staintune directly and asked about the increase and they admitted the problem was solely CBT and they were NOT happy at all. The problem is, CBT has a contract for exclusivity in importing the Staintunes to the US.... but not for much longer... Things are about to change as Staintune is trying to get out of the contract (or it's about to expire) and are looking for a handful of vendors to retail them in the US.... IMHO.. you'd have to be insane to pay literally double for the Staintunes when they offer the least amount of HP of any aftermarket exhaust no matter how good they look and sound... Not gonna be a part of it.. FYI.. we returned ALL the 'tunes we had in stock to CBT.. and believe me..they were NOT happy...I believe they have Gordon Gekko working for them..and contrary to what he may say... Greed is NOT good.
4. Our new Classifieds Section is up as of 5/15/04! ..Use it well, my fellow scurvy mates.. Buy/Sell/Trade to your hearts content. ..and we expect nothing in return.. except perhaps just a little freakin' respect and/or gratuitous photo's featuring bikes and nude women....or just the women. Very sorry it took us so long to get another up after our previous version was disconnected without notice..!
5. Remember that beeeutiful rear rack that we had pictured on our product page under Projects In The Works? Last month we reported that we had purchased the plans and production was imminent.. well.. As Paul Harvey would say.. and now.... "the rest of the story.". Apparently the guy that sold us the plans didn't actually OWN the plans as we found out when the disgruntled original designer contacted us wanting to know what's up.. ! Geeez.. I explained the situation to him and fortunately, I had all the e-mails to back up my assertions that the deal with the "middle man" was legit with no backdoor shenanigans going on (not that there's anything wrong with that.) I was assured the plans were his. I explained to the designer that due to the "middle man" , I now had semi-serious money invested already in machinist fees, CNC plans, materials, time, etc and even offered a deal where he produces them and I sell them for him.. This way I could at least recoup my money in the long run... He basically told me to go f*#@ myself. Such empathy and understanding from a fellow designer is heartwarming... Best wishes for this designer to retail them to the K12 world without us....
6. Some of
you may have noticed the Pirate Logo has changed on our index pages...
Yes.. the legal eagles at The Walt Disney Company finally came
down on us about the Pirates' of the Caribbean
emblem that I....er.. one of our parrots blatantly stole ..er. procured
from their movie website. I honestly believed that they'd never notice
the tiny indiscretion from such a small fish in the large www ocean...
Guess I was wrong for the first time in my life. Of course.. we could
have been ratted out by some disgruntled
individual... we'll never know. Of course.. Stealing is WRONG and we appreciate
the Disney Company taking the time to remind us.
7. The era of Two Scoops on the 98-2001 K12RS's is about over. Our last Scoop Kit sits on a lonely shelf awaiting a buyer and I have no plans to produce more.. If you missed out, you may now be officially SOL..
8. Speaking of discontinued products..Our Solo Seat Cowling has gone the way of MC Hammer's career. We have 2 left in stock and a list of about 5 people who want them.. We will NOT be producing any more. The labor, material, and time involved in producing them was extensive involving 10 different vendors... They just "look" simple. If you missed out... you only have your wife to blame.
9. We are now offering some NEW Custom Touring Pegs for the RS and GT's of the world. The K1200RS / GT Touring Footpeg Kit is similar to our custom peg kits we've had on the market for over a year, but these are wider and slightly longer. If you purchased our other custom kits, the good news is that these pegs will bolt directly to those carriers. We will be selling these as complete kits or pegs only for those who already have the other custom pegs and just want to try something different.
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2004 /
The BMW Rally planned at the Biltmore Estate located here in Asheville, NC is back on, and it is a designated "BMW" rally.. Mark your calendars for June 25–27, 2004
Biltmore Estate hosts the first Ride the Ridge Rally featuring BMW motorcycles, June 25–27. The event provides a chance to meet new friends, ride Western North Carolina’s curvy mountain roads with fellow motorcycle enthusiasts, check out BMW’s all-new R 1200 GS and K 1200 LT, talk to BMW product specialists, and enjoy BMW’s Mobile Tradition Exhibition that celebrates 80 years of BMW motorcycling history.
is $49.95 per person and includes:
Other rally activities
available at an additional cost include:
Register for Ride the Ridge Rally online or by calling 800-413-9793..it will be an ANNUAL EVENT.
2004 Ride to Read Rally from fellow K12'er and organizer,
Jerome Eberharter... Mark your calendars now for June 12, 2004, when riders
embark on an all-day adventure from Boise, Id. to Stanley and back to
raise money for literacy programs in our region. This year plan on more
people, more prizes, and more fun, with Team registration discounts (groups
of 3 or more riders) and prizes for the biggest teams, the most creative
team names, and the team raising the most money.
The 5th Annual Deals Gap K12 Rally will again be at the Tapoco Lodge on Sep 30th - Oct 3rd, 2004. As we did in 2003, Fontana Village and the Microtel Inn will be able to handle overflow. When contacting Tapoco about lodging mention K12RS BMW, or they may say they are full when actually it's reserved for "us". 828.498.2435 or 800.822.5083. Also.. you can try the San Ran Motel in Robbinsville at 828.479.3256. It's a mom & pop operation right next door to the Wendys. Clean and bike friendly. This will be the last K12 Rally of the year and probably the biggest... be there!!
The 2005 Hill Country Rally has already been scheduled for the following dates... April 7-10 No other information is available at this time, but I would surmise that it will be in the aging...er.. skillful hands of fellow K12'er and former Abu Ghraib prison guard, Barry Gibbs. Stay tuned..
|How to Survive On Your Motorcycle Tips
We have a new safety tip contributed by the quasi-esteemed Jack Connolly on our How To Survive on a Motorcycle Page Will it save your life? Look and see.. it's # 67
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and I'll add it on.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so use deodorant.
Guess that smells like the end... Take care.. ride safe...best wishes for an early spring...see you in my mirrors..