"Gather 'round, lads.... gather 'round"...
Each month or so,
when I deem you are worthy, we put out our cheesy K12 newsletter to inform
the masses as to what's happening in the BMW K12RS/GT world and of
course... Pirates' Lair. How else are
you going to find out? If you want to subscribe and have these sent via
e-mail to your home or office just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org .. otherwise
you'll get 90% of it here. Why only 90%? Because I tend to tell the brutal
truth as I see it on many issues/products and while I don't mind spewing
"my opinion" into your home, office or cell .. I have no desire to slam,
insult, or malign any company, individual, competitor in public.. unless
they blatantly deserve it.
The Latest Cheesy Pirates' Lair Newsletter: October 2004 Issue
|Fellow esteemed and quasi-esteemed K12 Riders.... ..A famous (and slightly edited) movie moment to start the day......|
Agent Starling rolls
up the questionnaire, puts it in Dr Lector's sliding food tray.. pushes it
through. He rises, glances at it, turning a page or two
|Yes, it's time again you, the huddled masses.. Time to invade your personal space and clutter your in-box, but with the quasi-noble intent of informing you of what's new in the BMW K1200RS/GT community and... at Pirates' Lair.|
News From The Two-Wheeled No-Spin
New Australian World Order: News From
RIDER DOWN: Needs Help
Andy could use some help in offsetting medical bills. If you find it within yourself to provide any relief, there are two ways of making it happen as illustrated below. (Thanks very much in advance) "
Note from Pirate:.. "We all know people that have gone down so why should we help Andy out? Because he's a fellow rider? Perhaps.. Because he's a good guy? No idea as I've never met him, but I do know this. Many of us visit I-BMW.com often.. some daily...Some poor bastards would have no life at all if not for I-BMW.com. Remember...the site is FREE and the site takes a lot of man-hours and $$ to keep running. Like 20 million other Americans, Andy has no insurance so you can imagine the costs and repercussions to his life and family. Also remember that he is one of the guys that keeps the site running... and he receives no pay for all his efforts..He does it for us. You do the math.. Give if you can..."
|The New K1200R:
Just after the Sept newsletter went to press, so to speak, I found out about the NAKED version of the "S" bike.. the K1200R.. I didn't even know it existed! Check out the R photo gallery via the www.i-bmw.com site. Personally.. I like the looks of it.. Not sure about the headlight...
|Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground : Request for Help
Not sure if any of you have ever visited the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground just off the Pky just south of Mt. Pisqua, but it is/was simply an astonishingly beautiful camping oasis for two-wheelers. It is one of the few motorcycle-specific campgrounds in the east coast. Run by motorcyclists for motorcyclists. The bad news is.. owners (and friends) Phillip and Leslie Johnson just informed us that they are closed indefinitely due to the damage caused by the string of hurricanes that pummeled them recently. The storms tore out their 100ft bridge, which was the ONLY way in and did serious damage to some of the cabins, buildings, and roadways on the property. FEMA came in and gave them a whopping $460.00.. Geezz.. They are currently trying to figure out if they can reopen at all. For more info or to offer any help, check out their website Click image to right for larger view of the property.
What's new in the K1200RS/GT News...aka.. the No Wheel-Spin Zone
I was just approached by
a company that will be producing both Light
Smoke and Dark Smoke tinted shields for
the Schuberth Helmets. He wanted to know
if I was interested in being the exclusive outlet.. He's sending me a
sample for evaluation, but it sounds a bit pricey to me. Opinions welcome.
Details as follows..
2. Now this is interesting... We were just contacted by my good friends at Rhinewest, Inc Performance in Texas.. makers of the RW Chip. They have a new RW Staintune Chip about to hit the market. As you may or may not know, their current K12RS/GT chips are NOT recommended for the Staintune.. only for the stock, Two Bros, Remus, and the Z Technik exhaust systems. The current K12RS/GT chip ONLY adds a little torque and smooths out the powerband when used with the Staintune but adds virtually no HP. The new chip changes all that. Will post dyno charts as soon as the new chip becomes available. For us Staintune guys.. this IS wet and juicy news...
3. Is your 2003 or 4 K1200RS or GT stumbling at cold
start-up.. idling erratically? Poor performance? Erectile
dysfunction? Flatulent? There may be a free fix as close as your nearest
dealer... Apparently BMW is offering a FREE
Remapped ECU which usually costs a whopping $550 to those that
request it... it is NOT a recall.
How did it do? I give it my thumbs up! Worked great.. no probs whatsoever. The only issue at all is that it must be high enough to be in your line-of site.. if it is.. you can't miss it. Will we carry it from our website? No... but only because there is very little profit margin...Retail is $59. These can be purchased directly at http://www.marcparnes.com/ . My suggestion if you order one is to ask for a 2 foot cord. The standard Visual Alert comes with a pitiful 12" which doesn't give much room to play with..
5. Dynojet is about to release a new Power Commander for BMW applications including the K bikes which will be available in January 2005. Suggested retail is $495.. Will this option be better than the time proven RW Chip? Doubtful, IMHO..
6. Verholen of Germany already has accessories for the new S bike..TWO types of "S" Barbacks and a peg lowering kit... Damn that was fast work!!
7. Standard barbacks not good enough for you? Your bike just not LT-ish enough? Don't want to pay the $2000 for Verholens Electric handlbars? There's another butt-ugly .er.. I mean visually challenged alternative at http://www.convertibars.com/ Looks like a good idea.... but... Cost is about $360.
8. I mentioned a few newsletters ago that Escort, makers of the Passport 8500 would be offering upgrades from old 8500's to the new spec X-50 version in Sept.. Well, they have pushed back the date to make these upgrades until March 2005. Why? No idea..Maybe they think we'll get tired of waiting and BUY the X-50. Their # is 888.837.2678 if you want to whine/needle/belittle someone.
new at Pirates' Lair?
1. If you've ever wanted to shoot video's and/or still pics from your K12 but couldn't figure out how to mount the camera..... we've got you covered.. We just picked up The SportBikeCam Mount for the KRS & GT and/or the MV F4. Looks very simple.. Light, convenient and easy to use...reasonably priced..The Sportbikecam.com camera mounting system appears to be perfect for professional quality action footage or home video garage porn. Imagine the possibilities!
2. If you'd like a first look at our upcoming R1200GS Stealth Backrest... This should bring in enough money for me to hire a guy to wax my jet.
3. The price for the Clear Blinker Lenses for the 97-2001 K1200RS has just gone up a second time in 4 months.. Word from the extortionists..er.. manufacturer..."This is necessary because of the higher than anticipated scrap rate, higher material prices and increased touch labor to get the parts to the quality your customers demand." Don't know about you, but it feels like he's f#@&* us because he can.. but what's a Pirate to do? He raises da prices.. I raise da prices... The only good news is.. after 8 months we have finally filled all back-orders (with an astounding 80% going to Germany and Japan!?) and are now taking orders again...If anyone wants to borrow a bit of Astroglide.. send a self address stamped envelope with a small bottle. I have a little left.
4. as Nostradamus prophesied ...As of Oct 1st, the exclusive contract between Staintune and a lone importer (based in California) expired allowing the Australian company to open up the US market to an all new marketing approach. They have officially designated Pirates’ Lair a new US distributor of the entire line of Staintune systems. This should be welcome news for anyone who has considered buying one of these high dollar imported systems but were scared away by the previous criminally high pricing. We are now on equal footing with the previous importer.... Sauce for the goose, Mr Savik. We are currently working on a page offering 'tunes for Aprilia, Ducati, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Triumph, KTM, and Yamaha. Check out the entire product line and new pricing at http://pirateslair.net/Staintuneall.htm FYI.. We have not listed all the bikes yet, but should have the page complete by November 1st,
5. After testing a unit for almost a year I have decided to carry the H.A.R.D. in our product line ... Instead of a blaring speaker or a faint light, the Inside Helmet Visual Alert - a.k.a. H.A.R.D. provides an immediate visual alert: a flashing LED light , inside the helmet that is illuminated within your field of vision allowing immediate recognition of radar. While there are a few downsides to the HARD, as with every other similar product on the market, after 10 months I'm still happy with it's performance and it's saved me from many close encounters of the law kind. The main downside of the HARD, at least with me, is the fact that you MUST remember to turn it off when you get off the bike.. if you don't.. it'll run the watch-type batteries dead.. and it uses TWO of them. I've run through so many that the geeks at the local Radio Shack know me by name....
6. Our R1100R / R850R Stealth Backrests are now available! I designed these as I get asked a lot, but to be honest.. I'm NOT very happy with the visual aesthetics of it and the final cost was far above what we expected.. Yes.. it is functional.. and yes.. it will make the passenger happy.. but it's simply not pretty and/or worthy of the "Stealth" name, IMHO. With that said.. when the first production run is sold.. I'll not produce more.. So there you have it.. it's a limited production item. If you know somebody interested.. speak now or forever hold your piece.
7. Worry about some sorry sunufabeetch stealing your V1 off your bike? Don't we all...Want a way to lock it up?? This note from Aaron E. Zimmerman at http://www.legalspeeding.com/
Steve Asvitt, owner of Hoon Hardware, and I partnered on the MotoLocker at for the LT, RT, and other sport touring bikes (to be added in the future). This generic version is set up for RAM mounting out of the box as well as being attached to a standard shelf. Retail $50, Dealer Cost $35.
8. Once again we have heard the pleas from the huddling masses and again we deliver.. Our newest Pirates' Lair Tees are in stock!!. These feature the Silver bike with Red Stripes. and like all the other versions.. these are limited edition. Once they are gone, there will be no more produced no matter how many deviant sexual favors involving warm oil and feathers or bags of very expensive, tasty weed are offered.. Unlike previous versions, these are available in LONG SLEEVE only.. and 100% preshrunk cotton... Cost is only $5 paltry dollars more than the short sleeve. It appears they run a little large so order accordingly.
9. Starting Oct 21st...you or your airs will receive a FREE Pirates' Lair Hat with every K12RS/GT exhaust system sold if you ask when ordering! Remus, Staintune, Two Brothers, or ZTechnik...I should not that these hats are babe magnets so if your personality and/or expensive toys aren't effective bait.. these hats should do the trick..... Guaranteed to get you laid more often. Note: The guarantee doesn't apply to married customers.
Rally News/Info: Down The Road: 2005 /
The 2005 Hill Country Rally has already been scheduled for the following dates... April 7-10, 2005 No other information is available at this time, but I would surmise that it will be in the aging...er.. skillful hands of our friend and former equestrian instructor for Christopher Reeves.. Barry Gibbs. Stay tuned..
The BRPR 2005 is Set !!!! (info provided by the
inestimable Tim Hudspeth.. a.k.a CBNFVR)
Summer Solstice Rally, Northeast (from the
quasi-esteemed Mike Cousino at www.I-BMW.com)
6th Annual Deals Gap K12 Rally ...will again be held at the
Tapoco Lodge in 2005, Sept
29th-Oct 1st to be precise. It won't hold us all, so make plans now! No
sign-up sheet yet. Just reserve a room and be there! Most of us from this
year already have a room, so it's not too soon to plan.
|How To Survive on a Motorcycle at http://pirateslair.net/SAFETY~1.htm
We have a new contribution from the quasi-esteemed Danno Campbell of New York, NY .. Check it out ... #75
If you'd like to help others by contributing a How-To-Survive.. First... check out the tips we already have and if you have something new... just send to me and I'll add it on.. Remember.. we're all in this together.. so shave your legs.
Guess that kinda wraps this one up. My name is Jerry Finley and I have approved this newsletter.